Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Earth Box Garden

So have you heard about EarthBoxes? They are a really cool planting system that enables you to grow a ton of veggies in a small space. And considering our backyard is all concrete, we needed an option that allows you to grow plants without planting in the ground.
Did you know you could make your own 'earthbox' and save money? They are ugly, but they are awesome.
Did you know that we also have a really ugly wall in our backyard? With ugly utility boxes and trashcans, this section of our backyard has always been an eyesore.
Enter my hunky gardener. Remember him? He decided to a) make our own earthboxes and b) make a beautiful wooden structure to disguise the ugly homemade earthboxes and the ugly part of our yard. Here they are half-way done.
Once they were done, he added clematis and another climbing flowering vine (name escapes me!) to grow around the lattice and hide the trashcans.
He's so modest, he wouldn't even let his full identity be known. I refuse to reveal his name, but I will let you know that I am SO grateful for all his hard work cultivating our own mini-garden in the backyard. We plan on enjoying lots of basil, peppers, tomatoes, squash, etc. all Summer long!
Oh and in case you think the other side of the yard was neglected, it wasn't. That's where the majority of our herbs grow. I'm so glad I have a hunky gardener as I also have a black thumb.

No comments: